I'm excited to be continuing my Building a Wardrobe series with you today! One the first day of the series I shared Essential Blazers and Jackets, one day two I shared Essential Cardigans, and on day three I shared Essential Skirts. and today I'll be sharing essential jeans and dress pants with you. Here are my thoughts on essential jeans and dress pants:
- I think it is essential to have good pair of skinny jeans, boyfriend jeans, and black, gray, and tan dress pants. I realized today that these are much more essentials for fall and winter, for spring and summer I'd definitely add white jeans.
- Although skinny jeans and boyfriend jeans are kind of a trend right now, they are definitely to key to making a casual look look great. I also love the trend of cuffing skinny jeans to show your ankle; I think this is much more flattering then wearing them long. I also love wearing skinny jeans with boots for the sleekest, most put together look.
- With dress pants, black, gray, and tan will be the most versatile. Now, when I say tan, I don't mean khakis. I'm a teacher, so I still see these everywhere, but I don't suggest spending money on them right now, as they are seeming dated at this point (we'll see when they come back, I'm sure they will).
- As for dress pants and jeans, fit is key. I'm not going to lie, I think finding great jeans and pants is pretty difficult. I also don't think buying because the price is right is the right way to tackle purchasing pants. In the past I tended to focus on if pants fit my waist and I stopped there. I didn't check how it fit in the thighs or check out the pants/jeans from the back either. Bad idea. This summer I took the time to try on all my jeans and pants and check them out from every angle. They all fit in the waist, but if the thighs were too baggy it made me look much bigger than I was, and if the back didn't fit right, I looked very...well saggy. I kid you not, I got rid of nearly a dozen pair of pants and jeans.
- I'm the most happy with a style I found at The Limited, they were not cheap (about $45 a piece) but the fit is perfection and I know the classic feel will mean I can wear them for years to come.
Now that I've shared my essentials thoughts on jeans and pants, here are some additional options to consider:
- I suggest investing in one pair of colored jeans, I love red.
- I also think a good pair of boot cut is a great go-to option for the weekend, I wear mine a lot for errands.
- I also love trouser jeans and depending on where you work, you might be able to wear them at work too. The fact that they have the structure of dress pants makes them dressier and can give a casual outfit a more polished look.
- I'm also seeing a lot of black denim now and I love it. They haven't been cool since the early 90s, but they're back!
skinny leg jeans / boyfriend jeans / gray dress pants / black dress pants / tan dress pants / red jeans / black jeans / boot cut jeans / trouser jeans
Today I'm wearing black skinny pants, which I wear like crazy, they are great with a boot, heel or flat; a must have for every closet!
On Valentine's Day Brian and I had the day to ourselves, which was great. Prior to going out to dinner we stopped by the mall, as Brian had a giftcard to Scheels and I had one to J.Crew. I found this striped sweater on super sale and was pretty excited because my other one needed to be thrown away. Black and white stripes are so great, but it seems like I need to replace mine each year. I got the inspiration for this outfit from this pin and love how it came together.
Vest: J.Crew Factory (sold out)
Sweater: J.Crew same
Necklace: Mariposa Medley c/o
Pants: Target same
Bracelet: chloe + isabel c/o same