Yesterday I started my Building A Wardrobe Series by sharing with you Essential Blazers and Jackets, and for the second day of the series I'll be sharing with you my thoughts on cardigan essentials. Cardigans are great for laying and can be worn both to dress an outfit up, as well as easily worn with a casual outfit as well. Here are my tips for building essential cardigans into your wardrobe:
- Must have colors include black, gray, and tan. In my experience, it's worth it to by quality pieces, as you will probably wear these the most. There are a lot of inexpensive options out there, say at Target or Old Navy, however, they inexpensive options don't seem to last or wear as well and pill much sooner. I've been most happy with the quality of cardigans I've purchased from Loft, Banana Republic, The Limited, and J.Crew.
- Consider the type of cardigan that fits your style best. Traditional lengths will probably be the most versatile, but I love a good boyfriend cardigan and think they can be dressed up for worn casually depending on how you chose to style them.
- When purchasing, pay attention to how to wash the item, if it's dry clean only, it will limited how often you can wear the piece. I've used Dryel, and in-home dry cleaning product, for over a decade and have been happy with the results, however I still spend the money to get pieces professionally dry cleaned at least once a year and this definitely adds to the overall cost of owning a piece of clothing.
- I've also included some additional options for you to consider purchasing. These include purchasing a few cardigans in bright colors, as well as a leopard or other print option. In my opinion you won't wear these as often, so purchasing a less expensive option, like this or this makes sense to me.
- Regardless of what you chose to buy, wash these pieces inside out to help protect the them in the washer.
Here's a visual of my recommendations for cardigan purchases:
tan cardigan /gray cardigan / black cardigan / mustard cardigan / bright cardigan / leopard cardigan
Today I'm wearing a bright cardigan, which is a fun addition to any outfit. It helps define my shape and pull the overall look together too.
I'm crazy about today's combo. I score this skirt for $4, new with tags, from thredUP (use this link to get $10 off your first order). I wasn't sure about a top, but tried the polka dots and love it. I might freeze today with bare legs, but this just didn't look right with tights. Hurry up, spring!