Clothed with Grace: Building A Wardrobe: Blazers and Jackets

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Building A Wardrobe: Blazers and Jackets


I'm really excited to be starting a new series today that will focus on helping you to build a wardrobe full of pieces you'll not only love, but that will be timeless and versatile.  Today I'm starting with one of my favorite things: blazer and jackets.  The thing I love about them is there ability to be worn both for work wear as well was weekend wear.  They can be the perfect touch to finish off any look, so today I'm showing you pieces I feel are essential, as well as a few pieces to add once the essential pieces are in place.

On my list of essential blazers and jackets are a classic black and navy blazer, as well as a denim jacket. Here are some things to keep in mind when purchasing these pieces:

  •  When buying these pieces definitely pay attention to quality, as they pieces can be utilized frequently and worn for years to come.  I purchased my black blazer at H&M for a very fair price to replace one I used for nearly a decade from The Limited.  My navy blazer is probably my favorite piece in my wardrobe and although I found it on sale at Loft, it definitely would have been worth the full price. 
  •  Also, pay attention to how to wash it, if it's dry clean only I pass on the piece.  Look for one that can be washed normally, as this will help you to utilize it more.
  • The quality of a denim jacket, in my opinion, doesn't vary much from store to store, so buying an inexpensive option shouldn't impact how it wears much.
After you have these essential pieces in your wardrobe, then you can begin to add on additional options, like the ones I've listed below. The additional options I'm loving are a striped blazer, a mixed media moto jacket, and a bright blazer.  Unlike the pieces above which are truly wardrobe staples, these pieces can be the "show piece to any look," that is, the piece of clothing that takes your outfit from cute to perfection.  Right now I'm on the look out for a mixed media jacket.  I recently tried one on at TJ Maxx I loved, but it was dry clean only, so I passed.  These pieces should definitely be added over time, and when the price is right. 

Here's a visual of all the pieces I've listed above to help you out:


Building A Wardrobe: Blazers and Jackets



  LOFT black blazer / LOFT navy blazer  / Gap denim jacket  /LOFT stripe blazer / LOFT mixed media jacket / bright blazer

Today I'm wearing one of the additional options I've listed above, a bright colored blazer. Adding a blazer dresses up any look, and the bright color is such fun too!




This dress I scored from thredUP (use link for $10 off) has to be hands down one of my favorite pieces in my closet. I thought it would be fun to pair it with teal today for work.  I also adore that it has pockets in the front, it's such a fun touch!


blazer: Kohl's similar
dress: J.Crew via thredUP (use link for $10 off) similar
necklace: Mariposa Medley c/o similar
 bracelets: chloe + isabel c/o samesame 
heels: Merona similar

20 comments:

  1. I love that mixed media moto jacket! And your new blazer looks great paired with hot pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great tips! I've been working on my blazer collection since we're required to wear suits for work. I used to try to buy a suit set only but I'm different sizes on top and bottom and the blazer rarely fit correctly. Now I'm a separates kind of girl!

    I love the look today. You should just go ahead and know I will be copying it ;-)

    ~Cheryl
    http://snaps-of-ginger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wearing my favorite cropped black blazer as I type this! But I definitely need to add more color and patterns to my blazer collection

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great series! I could literally not live without blazers (wearing a bright one today!) I wear them all the time and all year round. Loving the pink with the stripes today.

    Pia
    pjmscloset.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blazers are a great way to instantly look polished! I'd like to add one in a fun color to my wardrobe.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ca-yute! I have been searching for the perfect striped blazer to finish my blazer collection. They are really an essential for me. They can be dressed up or down which helps you get more bang for your buck. I found my Forever 21 denim jacket at the thrift store for $4 and it has been a workhorse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the blazer and collect them more! You look fantastic!

    http://www.attraction2fashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still think your navy and green blazer is my favorite thing you wear! I have one blazer but I think it is a bit old lady. I may be pitching it and going with one of your choices! Thanks! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! That mixed media jacket... I think I need it. As much as I love blazers, I think the only one I could really utilize right now is a casual knit one like the striped one! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love blazers! They are a great way to dress up an outfit. Love this striped one!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am really, really loving this blazer. I think the stripes are exactly the right width. And the bright pink shirt is a great pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love blazers. I found several amazing blazers at Savers. I bought a houndstooth wool Raalph Lauren blazerfor $8 and it is from last season! I also bought a Dark Navy Donna Karan for $9. Both in mint condition. I have found some amazing Blazers at Goodwill, too. So everyone check there, too! Great post. I love your stripes. I have a Navy stripe from H&M. I find their blazers are well made and a fraction of major retailers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post idea! And completely agree with everything you've suggested. I have a couple of black blazers, but don't have a navy one yet or even a denim jacket! So I have work to do haha. But you look fabulous! I love the pink :)

    ~Jacy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am on a major blazer kick these days! In fact, I just bought a navy + green one from Target today--I've been coveting the one you're wearing in your welcome pic for so long, I knew I had to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE that blazer! Love it with the pink blouse. This is a great idea for a series of posts. Can't wait to see what's up next.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea for a series Ginny!! Because of you, I purchased a striped blazer and love it instead of cardigans!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love your jacket! I've got one similar!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVING that striped blazer, you look gorgeous!!! Excited for the series!

    xo,
    Sincerely Miss Ash
    Instagram @sincerelymissash

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a big fan of blazers as well - currently, I have black, gray, navy, teal, coral, and camel. I really like how versatile they can be, and how easily they can spice up or "professionalize" an outfit!

    ReplyDelete