Clothed with Grace: The Home Stretch

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The Home Stretch

I think I've said this before this year is taking forever! Seriously. I was gone for two whole months, so you'd think it would be flying, but that's totally not the case. I'm doing all I can to keep my students engaged in class and focused, but some days it is easier said than done.  We have a tough group of boys this year, seriously unlike anything I've come across before, and it is crazy the difference them being absent or present makes.

As a teacher I very rarely have to resort to getting the principal involved or writing office referrals, but with this group it's different. We just talked in our recent team meeting about how 95% of the class is great, but man, it's easy to get bogged down focusing on the 5% who seems to need 95% of the attention.

I was thinking about how it's not my job to "fix" these kids, but how when I come across problems in my life, that's exactly what I want to do. I want to fix, control, eliminate, etc. However, I'm not sure that's the right approach. I'll depend so much on myself to fix it, that I forget that God is the ultimate "fixer." He understands what I don't, and wants nothing more than for me to trust that he's got the situation covered.

Proverbs 3:5-6 says "Trust in the Lord your God with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your path straight." As I work to finish out the year I want to really work to enjoy the 95% and quit trying to "fix" the 5%. Instead I'm going to spend time praying for them, showing compassion when it's not deserved, and continuing to be patient.  I have the greatest model in God and am going to work to life that out with these boys.


I went to Target a few weeks ago with the intent of trying on and buying these ankle pants to replace my other ones from Loft I had had to return. Merona was 40% off on the Cartwheel App, so I was stoked. However, I was not crazy about them once they were on. The white pockets showed, so even at 40% I wasn't impressed. However, I did find this shirt, which is now sold out online and I really like it.  I wore it with my black ankle pants to church, but look forward to wearing it with my white jeans too. It would have been great with the Merona white pants, had they been winners. Whomp, whomp. The search for white dress pants continues....


Cardigan: JCrew similar via thredUP
Top: Target similar (pricey)
Necklace: Stella and Dot
Pants: Target same
Heels: Merona similar

5 comments:

  1. Yay for the school year winding down...and sorry to hear you have a more difficult class this year. The print of that top is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feelin' ya on finding the right white pants! It bothers me so much when you can see the pockets in white pants! (They could just design the pockets to be nude colored to solve this problem)

    Every pair of maternity pair I try on is WAY too stretchy, too see through, ends up clinging in all the wrong places, and looking like a hot mess.

    Sometimes it's hard to look at every student as a creation from God and to see them as God sees them! Especially when they make you want to scream. All you can do is model love and compassion towards them.



    outfitsandotherbits.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got white maternity jeans from target lady year and loved them, maybe those would work, I beg hey have them again.

      Delete
  3. I'm on the hunt for that shirt! I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about the control thing. We as women want everyone to be okay and to fix what's not working right. However, only God sees that whole picture and so often the broken parts are essential to His plan. Love your outfit and yes the white pants dilemma! So hard to find the right ones! Hope you find something soon. Amy

    ReplyDelete