Clothed with Grace: Self-Care

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Self-Care


In super cool news, I have gingivitis. I guess it's a nice thing that I made it 37 years without flossing on a regular basis, but that time has ended. I've made excuses as to why I don't floss or use mouthwash-mostly because I'm tired and/or being lazy, but I really don't want to get periodontal disease, so flossing and mouthwash it is.

This trip to the dentist really made be stop and think about how I do and don't take care of myself. Reality is, I'm not going to be a good wife or mother if I'm always driving around like a car with it's gas light on.

So, today I thought I'd share some self-care tips and things I'm working to do or currently doing. We as moms have to take care of ourselves!

1. Figure out a time in the day that can be "your time." For me, this is usually getting up 20 minutes to a half-hour before everyone else to do my devotions and scroll though Social Media. At first the thought of getting up at 5:40 sounded like the worst idea ever, but I'll tell you what, I am in such a better place as a person when I have a bit of time to myself in the morning....as well as a cup of coffee.

2. Find something that interests you outside of your family. I will be the first to admit, that work and family pretty much consumes my day, but I love to read and I love to scrapbook. These two hobbies are ones I wholly enjoy and put me in a good mood-therefore making me a better wife and mother. I usually scrapbook once a month during the kids nap/rest time on the weekends and I try to read in the evenings when Brian is watching t.v.

3. Feel good about what you're wearing. I recently wrote a post about loving what you wear, so if you haven't read it, check it out. If your clothes are ill-fitting or your closet is a disaster, you won't feel confident. Newsflash-no one sees the size on your tag but you AND you'll look better in clothes that fit, then trying to fit into those pre-baby jeans. Trust me.

4. Take the time to get your hair done. It can be so easy to make sure our kids have haircuts, but we can put our own cuts on the back burner. Schedule a cut (and color if desired). Great hair makes you feel like a million bucks.

4. Treat yourself to a pedicure or a facial. I don't me monthly, but I always feel fantastic after a pedicure and my toes like it too. A splurge like this is a total treat and an hour to yourself is pretty nice too!

5. Get a good nights sleep. Don't be a hero, if you're tired, go to bed. Now that Hannah is sleeping through the night and she no longer needs a 10:00 bottle I'll spend an hour or so with Brian after Grant is asleep, then don't feel guilty about going to bed at 9:30 if I'm tired. Laundry can wait for tomorrow.

6. Take care of your body. This is definitely the area I need the most work with. I am now flossing and using mouthwash daily along with brushing, and you know what, once it becomes a habit it really isn't a big deal at all. (My dentist *cough* might have *cough* been trying to tell me this for years). What I really need to work on is eating healthy and exercising-both are super important to self-care. Figuring out a way to work out a few times a week is a matter of priority. I could easily go a few days after school before getting the kids, I just need to do it. Take a look at your schedule, where could it fit for you? As for food, I'm not eating horribly, but I could be eating better, for sure. For snacks, I tell Grant he can have yogurt, cheese, or fruit. I could take the same advise-self control, Ginny...

7. Make time for your husband. This goes without saying, but being on the same page with your spouse makes the whole household run smoothly. Spending time together in the evening and planning date nights is important.

8. See your friends (outside of playdates). I am definitely guilty of not taking the time to just see my friends, but when I do it is such a nice treat. Even if it's just coffee or a drink, the time to just be an adult and not a mommy at the park is so nice. I always come home feeling great!

What tips to you have to add to the list? When we're taking care of ourselves, we become equipped to take care of others.

4 comments:

  1. Great tips. I've definitely stepped up my self care in some areas, but there's still a lot I need to work on... like exercise and eating better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are on the same page! I shared a list of 30 things I do regularly to take care of myself as a Mom on my blog today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a timely post for me too. I struggle in this area. There is something that tells mom we should feel guilt for this, but Dads don't have this same kind of guilt. We shouldn't either! Thank you for sharing your heart on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete