Clothed with Grace: Maternity Style: Capsule Wardrobe and Outfit Ideas

Monday, June 1, 2015

Maternity Style: Capsule Wardrobe and Outfit Ideas

Today I thought I'd share with you all the pieces I've bought to fit my ever growing belly. I knew off the bat I didn't want to buy a lot, since the span for wearing them is so short. I also wanted to buy when the sales hit.  The first time around with Grant I had a number of friends share their clothes with me, so I literally only bought one pair of jeans. This time around, two of my three closest friends are pregnant along with me, no it wasn't planned ; ), so sharing isn't an option.

I have a number of tops that are more flowy I think I'll be able to wear through most of the summer. I also plan to wear my normal cardigans and jackets, which should work fine. I also have a number of maxis and a couple of dresses I should be able to wear through the summer too, but I was in dire need for bottoms immediately.  I know some people use Bella Bands or the rubber band trick to make their normal bottoms fit for as long as possible, but I knew I'd need to buy eventually, so why put it off?

Here's a look at the pieces I've gotten. I do have a few pieces I got through thredUP with credits (use this link for $10 off your first purchase), that aren't shown here, but I don't plan on buying anymore until fall hits.


 Navy Stripe Top / Coral Striped Top : I normally don't buy two of the same tops, but I bought the navy one at 20% off, and loved it so much I went and got the coral one too.

Coral Tank White Tank : I doubled up on these tops too. I scored them at 50% off and figured they'd be great this summer, but also great this fall for layering with sweater.

Skinny Jeans / Boyfriend Jeans / White Jeans : In store I found the skinny jeans and boyfriends jeans for $12 each and have already worn them a ton. I found the white jeans at Target for 20% off and knew I needed them, as white jeans are pretty much my favorite thing.

 Denim Shorts / Black Shorts / White Shorts / Denim Shorts : I scored the first three shorts at 40% off and the Target pair for $20. Being I have summers off, I pretty much live in shorts, so these will be great.

Lime Green Dress / Navy Dress / Black Dress Striped Dress : All of these dresses were $14 or less at Old Navy. The lime will be perfect for summer, whereas the others I'll probably keep for fall/winter.

I also decided to create some outfits with these pieces. I chose nine pieces from above and three layering pieces to create twelve outfits. This summer will be a lot of easy outfits and running around town with Grant, so I wanted to make it simple. Coming up with twelve outfits was easy when you have mixable pieces!

Although the pieces below are maternity, I think they translate into normal outfits as well, so hopefully it'll be some summer inspiration for all of you who aren't pregnant right now : )


Jewelry: Kendra Scott c/o Rocksbox and Stella and Dot
Shoes: Mossimo and Aerosoles c/o Chippmunk
Layering Pieces: Denim Jacket / J.Crew Cardigan / J.Crew similar

9 comments:

  1. This is a great post for everyone! I wont be buying maternity clothing, but I have similar pieces in my closet and this helps me put the items together for a variety of outfits! I hope you are feeling better! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just great summer essentials Ginny! I love all the mixing and matching you can do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a good idea to have capsule wardrobe, really for anyone, but especially for expecting moms. Love the combos that you came up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you are going to rock maternity style and during pregnancy is the best time to do a capsule wardrobe. You created many fantastic everyday-chic Summer outfits. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such cute style! I love your maternity look!!

    Her Heartland Soul
    http://herheartlandsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all of the outfits! And you don't even have to be pregnant to get some inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, you're going to look amazing! I love these outfits you've made. They're so fun and bright!

    https://forsevenseasons.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like not buying a lot is so smart - and you are such a pro at mixing and matching - all these outfits are perfect!! Such a cute style, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you gotta keep me updated with maternity sales! Question- since I won't get too big until the fall, would you recommend the under the belly shorts vs the full panel ones? I probably won't buy any tops until the fall though. Most of my blouses are pretty flowy and loose.

    ReplyDelete