Clothed with Grace: Currently Craving

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Currently Craving

One thing that has surprised me about being home with Hannah is how little I've been reading. I had some pretty big goals to plow through some great titles, but I'm not sure it it's the fact that the last two books I read were not good or if I'm just too tired, but I just haven't been reading. I do however, have some books I really want to dive into, and I thought I'd share them with you all today.

Books


After You A Novel by JoJo Moyers- I read Me Before You and cried like a little girl. It was really good, so I was excited to see that Moyers has written a sequel! Here's the premise:

"How do you move on after losing the person you loved? How do you build a life worth living?
Louisa Clark is no longer just an ordinary girl living an ordinary life. After the transformative six months spent with Will Traynor, she is struggling without him. When an extraordinary accident forces Lou to return home to her family, she can’t help but feel she’s right back where she started.
Her body heals, but Lou herself knows that she needs to be kick-started back to life. Which is how she ends up in a church basement with the members of the Moving On support group, who share insights, laughter, frustrations, and terrible cookies. They will also lead her to the strong, capable Sam Fielding—the paramedic, whose business is life and death, and the one man who might be able to understand her. Then a figure from Will’s past appears and hijacks all her plans, propelling her into a very different future. . . .
For Lou Clark, life after Will Traynor means learning to fall in love again, with all the risks that brings. But here Jojo Moyes gives us two families, as real as our own, whose joys and sorrows will touch you deeply, and where both changes and surprises await."

 The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit I haven't read this yet. If you haven't, here's the scoop:

"The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father's servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption; and an exploration of the power of fathers over sons—their love, their sacrifices, their lies.
A sweeping story of family, love, and friendship told against the devastating backdrop of the history of Afghanistan over the last thirty years, The Kite Runner is an unusual and powerful novel that has become a beloved, one-of-a-kind classic."


The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike) by Robert Galbriath (aka J.K. Rowling) When word got out that J.K. Rowling was writing again, and that it was a totally different, but awesome read, this series got added to my list. I'm excited to check it out!  Three books in the series are out, here's a look at the first one:

"After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.
Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, thelegendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man.
You may think you know detectives, but you've never met one quite like Strike. You may think you know about the wealthy and famous, but you've never seen them under an investigation like this."


 Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah I just recently read The Nightingale and it was amazing, I've heard this one is really great too. Here's a synopsis:

"Meredith and Nina Whitson are as different as sisters can be. One stayed at home to raise her children and manage the family apple orchard; the other followed a dream and traveled the world to become a famous photojournalist. But when their beloved father falls ill, Meredith and Nina find themselves together again, standing alongside their cold, disapproving mother, Anya, who even now, offers no comfort to her daughters. As children, the only connection between them was the Russian fairy tale Anya sometimes told the girls at night. On his deathbed, their father extracts a promise from the women in his life: the fairy tale will be told one last time―and all the way to the end. Thus begins an unexpected journey into the truth of Anya's life in war-torn Leningrad, more than five decades ago. Alternating between the past and present, Meredith and Nina will finally hear the singular, harrowing story of their mother's life, and what they learn is a secret so terrible and terrifying that it will shake the very foundation of their family and change who they believe they are."

What about you, what's on your must-read list?

7 comments:

  1. I just finished the Kite Runner and it is good, but terribly sad! And I've been seeing the movie trailers for Me Before You and I can just tell it's going to make me cry (maybe even more than the book!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter Garden is the book that absolutely sold me on Kristin Hannah! Me Before You and After You are on my reading list, I'm hoping to get to those soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Cormoran Strike series. They are all great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still wanting to read The Royal We. It's gotten good reviews and I love the Go Fug Yourself website. But I'm kind of mired down in two books that haven't been that great; I'm determined to finish them before I start anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still need to read the Nightingale! I've been on hold for the library ebook forever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete