Clothed with Grace: How To: Style and Tie Scarves

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

How To: Style and Tie Scarves

Today I'll be sharing some tips with you about how to style and tie scarves.  Now, I must say, I am NOT an expert my any means.  I have a few tips to share, but I'm including Wendy's Lookbook's Video with 25 Ways to Tie Scarves below, as well as a few ideas from Pinterest too.  
  • My first tip is to learn a few basic ways to tie a scarf that can be your go-to ways to tie.  Other than infinity scarves this is my favorite way to tie a scarf, in the first two pictures below I've tied it this way, I just shifted it to the side with the floral scarf for a different look.
  • My second tip is to use your scarf as a simple way to pattern mix.  If you'd love to try this trend, but are nervous, a scarf is a great place to start.  Try leopard with stripes, or a a print.  This look can really make your outfit stand out and it keep it looking forgettable. 
  • Basic bold colored scarves are great and super versatile.  In the winter these tend to take the place of necklaces frequently.  Work to color coordinate your scarf with your outfit, or add a cool pop of color in a complimentary color.  
  •  I am a huge fan of infinity scarves as I feel like they are a not hassle way to wear scarves, but not every great scarf is an infinity scarf.  To make any scarf an infinity one, simply tie the ends together like this and voila, an instant infinity scarf.  I use this trick all the time!
Have you entered my sponsor's giveaway here yet?






Here's Wendy's awesome video to show how to tie your scarf 25 different ways.  Mind. Blown.





Here's another great resource for ideas on how to tie your scarf too, the ideas are endless!



On another note, last summer I did a post on knowing and dressing for your body type and it was a great success. I'd like to expand on it and I need your help. I really only gave outfit ideas for a rectangle, because that's what I am. Here's my pitch: Are you hourglass, pear, apple, or triangle shaped? Send me a picture of you in all black (with or without your face) if I get more than one of each body type I'll choose at random. Then I'll create Polyvore sets for you and others with your body type as outfit inspiration, as well as tips to best utilize your best qualities. I plan to do this as part of my Tuesday how-to series. If interested email me here.

20 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! Too bad I'm also a rectangle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using scarves to pattern mix. I really need to try some of these ways to tie scarves. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of patterned scarves to mix prints!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Headband Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scarves will always be my favorite warmer & accessory.....so I thank you for these tips!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Ginny. I also used that video last year for a post on how to tie scarves. I love them. Perfect to keep you warm and very fashionable. Great way to add colour to your outfit.

    Agi:)

    vodkainfusedlemonade.com


    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Love the video - thanks for sharing! I have so many scarves. Can't wait to tie some of them in new ways!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are SO right about the pattern mixing thing. That's actually how I mixed patterns the ONE time I mixed them, and I really liked it.

    What an awesome idea to make Polyvore sets for people of different body types. You pull together some of the most wonderfully helpful posts. Thank you, Ginny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A well tied scarf is a beautiful thing!!
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome tips, definitely learned something new!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am totally with you on this! When I'm not tying my scarves into faux-infinity scarves, I'm tying them like you did in the first two shots. Patterned scarves really helped me get into pattern mixing too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for putting this together...I'm always doing the same old loop and really need to change it up! I love how you have the plaid one tied...is it difficult?
    Merrie @ www.PetiteCareerGirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, fun medley on how to tie scarves, this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love scarves!! I do use scarves in place of necklaces all winter long. That video is awesome by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am convinced that scarves are the best accessory! Thanks for the tips! susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes! I love making my "regular" scarves into infinity scarves :) I also like to pattern mix with scarves...which might be one of the only ways I've ever pattern mixed...hmm, ha! I have a ton of scarves and sometimes feel bad about it, but I seriously wear them all the time - even in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this post! I was never able to perfect tying regular scarves to make infinity ones...I need to practice so I can essentially double my scarf collection!
    Valerie
    www.the-style-files.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun idea about pattern mixing with scarves, I´ve always paired my printed scarves with solid colored tops or vice-versa. Wendy´s video tutorial really is so helpful too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the tartan scarft :D

    WWW.PUTRIVALENTINALIM.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your How-to posts. I am almost wearing a scarf every day these days. I am always looking for new ways to style them. Wendy's video is awesome, I have seen it many times. You did a great job tying yours too. You have a great collection. I especially love the 2 top ones.

    Have a Great Weekend, Ginny!

    ReplyDelete