Clothed with Grace: How To: Style Booties

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

How To: Style Booties

This week for my how-to series, I'll be covering how to style booties.  I love my booties and have been living in them this fall and winter!  They are such a great trend this year, but I'll be honest, styling them can be a little daunting at first.  Today I'll be sharing six ways I like to wear them.
  • Booties can be a little more casual in nature, so when styling them you'll probably find they look best styled with more casual pieces.
  • First, I'll be styling it with a dress and tights.  I love this combo and it seems to work best with cotton or jersey dresses.  Wearing black tights with black booties, or brown tights with brown booties will also elongate your legs, which is always a plus!
  • The second way I'll be styling it is with long leggings.  I love this for a casual weekend look or a night with friends.  Tip, if you're leggings aren't quite long enough, wear black socks and tuck them into your leggings, no one will know the difference. : )  
  • The third way is with boot-cut jeans. Just add either one big cuff or cuff it twice and just let the bottom of the booties show.  This is a great way to transition into booties if you're just starting to get comfortable with them.
  • The forth way is with a pencil skirt or mini-skirt and bare legs.  I think bare legs and brown booties are are better combination than bare legs and black booties.  Black booties and bare legs can have a tendency to cut you off at the ankle and make you look shorter and wider than you are.
  • The fifth way, and my favorite way to wear it is with skinny jeans.  You can either do one bigger cuff or cuff it twice.  The little bit of ankle that shows is super flattering.
  • The last way is with tights and a mini-skirt.  This works great for both brown and black booties and if perfect for when you want to wear a skirt in the winter.
Also, a few days after I got this post ready the lovely Sarah at Sarah's Real Life created a post on how to style booties too, check out her post for some more great tips. : )




I wore this outfit on the blog here and love how the booties work with this look as apposed to a normal heel. 


Cardigan: Banana Reublic $7 (thrifted with tags) similar
Dress: $5 (thrifted with tags) cute option
Belt: The Limited $5 similar
Scarf: Craft Show $10 cute option
Bracelets: Stella and Dot RenegadeUrbane
Tights: Esprit $5 (via TJ Maxx)  similar
Booties: Jessica Simpson $37 same

I love this outfit and wore a similar one here when I discussed how to style a boyfriend cardigan.  Like I said then, I don't think leggings are appropriate for work, but I love this for a weekend look or a night with friends.


Cardigan: Target $12 same / Target Coupons
Scarf: Boutique $15 exact
Chambray: Gap $15 same
Leggings: Target 
Booties: Jessica Simpson $37 same

Here I'm wearing it with my herringbone vest.  I wore it similarly  on my how-to wear a herringbone vest post.  


Vest: Coldwater Creek (can't find similar anymore)
Sweater: Loft $30 same
Scarf: Joe Fresh $10 similar
Bracelets: Stella and Dot  Chimera, Moxie , Renegade 
Jeans: Old Navy $5 (thrifted) similar
Booties: Jessica Simpson $37 same

I wore this outfit on the blog here and it was one of my first attempts at styling booties with a skirt.  I love how this combo came together and these booties are probably the best pair of shoes I've ever owned.


Cardigan: Loft $5 (thrifted) similar
Top: Loft c/o Chippmunk similar
Skirt: Loft $40 c/o Chippmunk same
Belt: Kohl's $1.5
Necklace: Stella and Dot same
Bracelets: Moxie , Renegade Stella and Dot
Boots: Wanted $29 (via eBay) similar / same in black

I wore a similar outfit on the blog here, however instead of wearing jeans I wore a skirt. I've today's look in my head for a while, so I'm glad I can show it today.


Blouse: Target $20  same
Vest: JC Penney $8 similar
Belt: Kohl's $1.5
jeans: Old Navy $19 similar
Belt: $1.5
Necklace: Stella and Dot same
Bracelets: Stella and Dot  Chimera, Moxie , Renegade 
Boots: Wanted $29 (via eBay) similar / same in black

I showed you this outfit on my how-to style a boyfriend cardigan post here.  I think that wearing tights with booties is definitetly a great option once winter hits for sure.


Cardigan: Target $12 same / Target Coupons
Top: Loft c/o Chippmunk similar
Skirt: Loft (thrifted) cute option
Necklace: Stella and Dot same
Leggings: Target
Booties: $29 (ebay) same in black

15 comments:

  1. My favorite way to wear booties is with skinny jeans. I've worn mine with dresses but I feel like my ankles look weird in them!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great tips! I think I may try the leggings and boyfriend cardi today! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the idea of the booties here!! so chic and office appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing such a fantastic job with your weekly how-to's! I'm so impressed by all of the outfits you put together. I love all of the ways you styled your pair, and I wear mine all of these ways. Lately, I've been especially into wearing my black pair with black tights under a casual skirt or sweater dress! Loved this post!

    ~Jacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. So helpful! I've gotten to a place with my tan booties where I'm feeling pretty confident in styling but now I have a black pair of ankle boots and I feel like I'm starting all over again because they are shaped differently than my tan ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Ginny. I love booties and they are so versatile. Great job :)

    Agi:)

    vodkainfusedlemonade.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love both of your booties. I especially love how unexpectedly chic they look with bare legs and a skirt. =) Great How-to Post. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love booties and want more! Great styling of them!

    http://kacieskloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Booties can be hard to style (at least for me lol), but you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have become obsessed with wearing booties with dresses and skirts now
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  11. I stayed away from ankle boots for the longest time (except for a black pair that I wore only with black tights - groundbreaking, I know) because I had it in my head that they make me look stumpy. Then somewhere only a few months ago I tried rolling my jeans and pairing it with the boots - magic! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I'll definitley have to pin this! I thought booties were trendy and could only figure out a way or two to wear them but after seeing how versatile they are, I am reconsidering! I have a DSW gift card to use and I might give these a try! I love that you can wear socks under them for added warmth too!
    Valerie
    www.the-style-files.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always struggle with how to style my booties. This gave me some great tips!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! I like wearing my booties most with fleece lined tights for extra warmth and a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been wearing the crap out of my brown ankle booties, and I love them! My favorite way to wear them is with tights and a dress/skirt, so far...but I am eager to try them out with a pair of leggings and a tunic or boyfriend cardigan as well!

    ReplyDelete