Clothed with Grace: How To: Style a Boyfriend Cardigan

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

How To: Style a Boyfriend Cardigan

I'm excited to be starting a how-to series, which I'll be sharing with you all weekly.  This week I'll be sharing tips on how to style a boyfriend cardigan.  Now, these cardigans can be great, but the length and tendency for them to be over-sized can make them difficult to style.  I have some great tips on how to style them for you all today.
  • First, when trying a boyfriend cardigan on in the store, try on your "normal" size and then one size smaller.  You might find that the small works better than the medium, etc.  Also, check the length.  For me, having a boyfriend cardigan hit right below the hips is most flattering.  Due to my short petite figure, cardigans that are longer than this are not flattering on me and look more like a weird dress with buttons on the front.  Not cool.
  • One great way to style a boyfriend cardigan once you've gotten a well fitting one is with a jersey dress like this one I'm wearing in the first picture below.  Boyfriend cardigans are more casual in nature, so wearing it with a jersey dress works great.  I'll done this quite a few time and and always feel put together and cozy all day long.  A belt also helps to accentuate your waist with this combo too.
  • The second ways to wear a boyfriend cardigan is with skinny jeans.  This is a great combo for casual Friday or for a weekend look.  I think skinny jeans are best because you don't want to create more volume with the outfit by adding a wider leg jean; this outfit can have a tendency to look overwhelming and make you look bigger than you are.  I styled mine below with booties, but you could also easily wear ballet flats or tall boots too. I also feel that tucking in your shirt or wearing a more form fitting shirt is the most flattering with a boyfriend cardigan too, just like with the jeans, an over-sized shirt can make you look bigger than you are.
  • The third way to style a boyfriend cardigan is with a mini-skirt.  Now pencil skirts can be ok with boyfriend cardigans too, just keep in mind the casual nature of this piece, so a cotton skirt is probably best.  Once again tucking your shirt in will be the most flattering for this look and I think booties are boots look best.  I don't recommend wearing an a-line skirt with a boyfriend cardigan, just like I stated above with over-sized shirts or wider leg jeans, adding more volume is not very flattering.
  • The last way I'm going to show is to wear a boyfriend cardigan with leggings.  I love this with a longer tunic and boots or booties.  I don't recommend wearing leggings to work, I'd stick to wearing this combo for a night with friends or on the weekends.  You also want to make sure your rear is covered by the tunic and cardigan and that the legging are nice and thick.  To wear this look at work, simply swap out the leggings for black jeans or the gigi pant and you're ready to go.








I've worn this look a number of times and Instagrammed it too.  I wore it like this on the blog earlier this fall when I could actually go outside without tights.


Cardigan: Target $12 same / Target Coupons
Dress: Target $22 same 
Belt: Kohl's $1.5
Leggings: Target 
Boots: Born similar

I also wore this outfit on the blog earlier this fall as part of my color series, What to Wear with Mustard.  I love this combo and blue and gold are definitely one of my favorite color combos.


Cardigan: Target $12 same / Target Coupons
Top: Loft $30 cute option
Jeans: Old Navy $19 similar
Belt: $1.5
Necklace: Stella and Dot same
Booties: $29 (ebay) same in black

I've worn boyfriend cardigans and mini-skirts a number of times together before, like here and here.  It can give the look some great casual ease, but still make it totally work appropriate.


Cardigan: Target $12 same / Target Coupons
Top: Loft c/o Chippmunk similar
Skirt: Loft (thrifted) cute option
Necklace: Stella and Dot same
Leggings: Target
Booties: $29 (ebay) same in black

I love this combo below and recently wore it for a girl's night in. I think this look can be great with a boyfriend cardigan, just remember, keep that rear covered. : )


Cardigan: Target $12 same / Target Coupons
Scarf: Joe Fresh $10 similar
Chambray: Gap $15 same
Leggings: Target 
Boots: Born similar

Next week I'll have another topic to cover, make sure to come back for it! Also, is there a topic you'd like to see me cover? Let me know, I'd love to try to tackle it!


Linking up with:

38 comments:

  1. Great tips and I love all the looks. Really great ideas
    k at www.beautystyleandgrowth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very cute! I would wear all of these looks. Love boyfriend cardigans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so many of these in my closet- thanks for the inspiration! I rarely wear them with skirts because of the length issue, but you rock them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love wearing boyfriend cardigans with belted dresses. It's one of my favorite looks, and I'll be trying out the other ways you suggested!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boyfriend cardigans are so comfy and cozy! I have to try mine with a skirt!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    $50 PayPal Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all great ideas! I recently wore an outfit very similar to your first one except with a red cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just convinced me to get a BF cardigan soon.....love your stylin' Ginny!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the color of your cardigan! my favorite is the stripes and leopard look!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I really like all these outfits. That mini skirt of yours is one of my favorites. And I am loving that scarf in your last outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a good boyfriend cardigan and I love all the ways you wore yours!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes - keep the rear covered! Good advice for anyone who thinks leggings are pants! :-) I'm so tall that most BF cardigans aren't all that long on me, but I love them! Good advice to stick with skinny jeans. One of my 2013 outfits of shame was a boyfriend cardigan with boyfriend jeans. I look about 2 feet tall and 4 feet wide! Not a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great styling of that amazing cardigan!! I love that you went with mustard - super versatile and yet unique!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like all of these, but my favs are with leggings or with a skirt. The leggings outfit looks so pulled together, but so comfy at the same time!

    Amy
    Mariposa Medley Jewelry
    www.mariposamedley.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boyfriend cardigans are some of my favorite things to wear! These have given me some great ideas for how to style them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What great tips! I love the first look! So cute on you!
    xo,
    Jacqueline
    stylininstlouis.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a few boyfriend cardigans and i love them. I wore mine through out the holiday with leggings. So comfy. Great series Ginny.

    Agi:)

    vodkainfusedlemonade.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have this same cardigan and I feel that I tend to wear it the same each time. These are great ways to wear it! I will have to try some out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all of your outfits and tips!! I love boyfriend cardigans, especially when I can find them long enough for me (it appears we have opposite problems ;)).

    ~Jacy

    ReplyDelete
  19. You may have inspired me to wear a skirt! Great looks- love them all. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This so came in handy! I just bought what looks to be the same cardigan but in brown.
    Thanks for all the inspiration.

    Pia
    pjmscloset.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are all so great! I have a similar cardigan but I never wear it. I need to pull it out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've got a BF-style cardi from Old Navy that I've never worn because I couldn't quite figure it out. Now you're making me rethinking selling it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adorable looks! Wish I could print them all and wear them, perfect styling! Thanks for the tips, I should have know the size smaller tip before, I have some that definitely don't fit me and had to give them away, anyways next time I'll know better thanks to you!


    Cee. ♥
    Code Overdressed

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the color of this cardigan and all of your great remixes! I am definitely going to have to stop by target soon and snatch up another boyfriend cardigan to try some of these fabulous looks out.
    -Becca
    whyshesings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great advice! I have a mustard boyfriend cardi nearly identical to yours, but mine was from Walmart :) (I also have a Target one, but it's sans pockets) I bought mine a size smaller as well. I have a smaller waist and larger hips so I wanted it more snug and streamlined than baggy and loose. :) I also belt mine pretty much all the time, to help create visual proportions, since it's so long and I'm pretty short (5'4" and short-waisted, long-hipped). Thanks for the styling inspiration! You've inspired me to pair it with my new navy & white striped dress next! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great advice! I have a mustard boyfriend cardi nearly identical to yours, but mine was from Walmart :) (I also have a Target one, but it's sans pockets) I bought mine a size smaller as well. I have a smaller waist and larger hips so I wanted it more snug and streamlined than baggy and loose. :) I also belt mine pretty much all the time, to help create visual proportions, since it's so long and I'm pretty short (5'4" and short-waisted, long-hipped). Thanks for the styling inspiration! You've inspired me to pair it with my new navy & white striped dress next! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have been needing to bring my boyfriend cardigans out for my closet remix, and this helps me so much! I think my favorite style is with the dress! I can pair that with the fleece tights that I wear every day and I am set to go just about anywhere! These will easily transition into spring too!! Great post! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this post! Varied and cute options...great creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  29. so many different ways to rock the bf cardi! i'm actually wearing one today at work. love this post! so fun to see all of your different styling ideas.

    xo,
    gabby
    www.likealittlefox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the more casual looks - the jeans and leggings definitely work well!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  31. cute ways of styling the cardigan! it's a great piece for the office!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ginny you are so creative with your looks and love the way you are carrying all the looks!! My favourites are third and last one :)

    http://www.myglossyaffair.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have finally jumped on the boyfriend cardigan bandwagon, and now I want like 10 more of them! I love to wear mine with jersey dresses, skinny jeans, or with ponte pants/leggings. I wear leggings and ponte pants a lot on weekends (don't judge!!), and I like to wear them with a boyfriend cardigan to cover my butt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Haha, yes I totally understand the "weird dress with buttons" look that comes from a too-long cardigan. I'm only 5 feet tall, so I have to search a little bit longer to find just the right fit. I love the variations you show, and the last one with the scarf and boots is my favorite. Nice job! :)

    www.sagegrayson.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great ideas! I love how versatile mustard is! You showcased it well!
    morepom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is some great styling! I love how you were able to pair them with different clothes and make them look flattering. Boyfriend cardigans are indeed hard to handle as most of them are just way too big for your size. It is always the choice of cardigan that makes or breaks good styling.

    Jaehong An

    ReplyDelete
  37. "I am really happy to say it’s an interesting post to read . I learn new information from your article , you are doing a great job . Keep it up
    How to Wear A Waistcoat For Perfect Styling

    ReplyDelete