Clothed with Grace: Reality Check

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Reality Check

Recently I've been thinking a lot about the impact I can make on those around me. As a teacher I talk to nearly 100 kids each day. I love my job and the kids, but I'd be lying if there weren't times I've said or done things I wish I could change. Recently I was walking out of school and some boy I didn't know said hi, then asked if I remembered taking a sucker from him last year in the hallway. Reality: I totally don't. I've searched my memory and maybe remember him hitting a kid on the back of the head with a sucker, then asking for it from him for obvious reasons.

My point is, I don't know this kid at all, but the only thing he knows about me is I'm the "mean" teacher who took his sucker. I'm not crazy about this at all. Even in a situation like that I could have handled it differently and given the darn sucker back after school and had a more indepth conversation with the kid about why I took it in the first place. At the time I was not thinking about that, but what if I had?

I want the people around me to see that I care about them because in the end people might not remember what you said, but they will remember how you made them feel. 

As a Christian, I am to show who God is and the love he has for us through my interactions with others. I am an ambassador of Christ. Sometimes I get busy or too focused on things that don't matter, and I forget that.

What if my only interaction with someone is a quick, pointed word? What if I only get one chance to show God's love and I miss the opportunity? Now, that's pretty horrible.

I want my words and actions to be purposeful, meaningful, and impactful, and not take for granted the love God has shown me by holding it back from others.  The greatest commandment from God is to "Love the Lord your God with your whole heart, and love your neighbor as yourself." Luke 10:27. Each day I'm given this opportunity time and time again, I should take that for granted for one second.


Recently I decided to pair my striped blazer with this J.Crew dress and Betsey Johnson shoes I scored on thredUp (use this thredUP link to get $10 off your first order). Both were new with tags and about a quarter of what they would have cost in stores. Score!

I love how my necklace from Rocksbox dresses up this outfit too.  If you're not familiar with Rocksbox it's a fun monthly jewelry service.  It normally cost $19 a month, but you get a $10 credit towards any purchases. You can also send the box back and forth as many times as you want each month. I'm really loving getting to try it out and you can try it free for a month too. Just go to Rocksbox and use code "newfavoriteoutfitxoxo" at checkout.


Blazer: TJ Maxx similar
Dress: J.Crew factory similar via thredUp (use this thredUP link to get $10 off your first order)
Necklace: Rocksbox c/o (use code "newfavoriteoutfitxoxo" at checkout for a month free)
Heels: Betsey Johnson similar via thredUp (use this thredUP link to get $10 off your first order)

Thursday:
Linking up with:

15 comments:

  1. I think by being so cognizant of how words and actions can make others feel you're already a huge step ahead of other people. And I love that blazer!

    Her Heartland Soul
    http://herheartlandsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This necklace is stunning! I love it with the stripes and pink. Beautiful outfit.

    https://forsevenseasons.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me just say, that I soooo love your blog and feel blessed to have found you! You rock and your words inspire me each time I come by to read up on what you have to say. You are very right when you say we are ambassadors of Christ. On another note, I'm loving this ensemble! Pink, in my opinion, you can never go wrong with...lol. It's my fave color of all time and you look amazing in it. I remember you sharing those shoes as well, they look so pretty and feminine on you. Thanks for sharing. God bless you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always have the best reminders! It's easy to forget all the interactions you have with people around you where they may remember something different about you than the way you'd like to be perceived. It's definitely got me thinking about how I act walking down the halls at work and if I hold the door for someone else, etc.:) Hope you're having a great day, Ginny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an impactful post and it actually made me think back to my teaching days. As an introvert it has always been hard to open up and just be real with people or enjoy others, I guess that is why the internet seems like a safe place but I need to be more joyful around others and supportive. Lovely outfit.
    Rachel xo

    Garay Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good reminder! And you look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good reminder! And you look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great message, it's so true how even the smallest gesture can be impactful on others and showing God's love through our actions is so important! On another note this is a beautiful outfit on you!
    Marta
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about the boy in the hallway. Kids remember things like that whether we want them to or not! I think reflecting on it shows a lot though. I've heard the quote you wrote about people remembering how you made them feel. I try to remember the same thing when I'm interacting with someone. I want them to see me as someone who cares about what they have to say and that I'm a good listener. I wish you the best of luck with following through on your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great reminder! My daughter's dance teacher (who she really looks up to) made a snide comment about how much taller she is than the other girls. It crushed my daughter - who is proud of her long, beautiful legs. We always have to be mindful of our words. Your dress is a lovely color! Happy weekend! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this dress and striped blazer combo. And those heels are a major score! Amen to "I want my words and actions to be purposeful, meaningful, and impactful..." I have to remind myself to be purposeful and intentional about my words and actions. Enjoy your weekend, Ginny! ~Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post was so honest and heartfelt, and what you said here: "in the end people might not remember what you said, but they will remember how you made them feel" is so much what I want out of life for people to remember me with. Chic in pink, also. The necklace, bracelet and your gorgeous new shoes via ThredUp are all stunning.

    Enjoy the weekend, Ginny!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this outfit, Ginny. And I can completely relate to where you're coming from. There are instances when I've said or done things in a heated or stressed out moment, that I wish I had handled differently. And at the end of the day every single day, I pray to God to help me to stay focused and remember not to take anything for granted. Thanks for opening up like this.

    ReplyDelete