Clothed with Grace: Blink of an Eye

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Blink of an Eye

Today I'm going to be getting pretty deep with you all, so here's your forewarning. Recently I had a dear friend tell me about an awful situation that happened to some college friends of hers and her husbands, Kimberly and Dan.  The two couples had spent a lot of time together in college, each couple got married about the same time and have kids about the same age- one and three.  

Recently Kimberly had a nagging cough, and doctors thought it was a cold that just kept hanging around. Kimberly, also happened to be pregnant with their third child at the time.  What seemed to be a cold turned out to be a rare valley fever in which fungus starts growing on your lungs. She delivered her third baby at 23 weeks, and he died shortly after. Things got worse and Kimberly soon died too. Her life was over in the blink of an eye. This story is literally the worst. 

Kimberly and her husband Dan were unwavering Christians, you can read more about her story here. The family is at peace knowing Kimberly and her baby are in Heaven, but it still doesn't make this situation seem much easier here on earth. Sometimes things happen that I just don't think we as humans have the capacity to understand. I don't know why God would take her from her family at such a time as this. I can't understand the logic.

I shared this story with my husband, Brian, who is well known for his honestly, not his empathy. He responded, "We're not promised any specific time here on earth. When it's our time, it's our time." So, for the record, the response I wanted to here "Man, what an awful situation," but there really was truth in what he had to say.

As Brian said this we were walking in the doors of Grant's elementary school for kindergarden roundup, something I've been looking forward to for quite some time. Here I am, making plans for tomorrow, next week, next month, and even next year, but what if I don't get a next year? 

That's why it's so important to make the most of each day.  God wants each one of us just as we are. Tired, bruised, broken, He loves us all. If we wait around until we're perfect to come to God, we'll never get there. Meeting him is not like a job interview, where you have to be "hired," He's our father, waiting with open arms, ready to accept us just as we are. 

My friend said she's been hugging her kids a little bit tighter all week, and as for me, I don't want to take this life I've been given for granted. I want to make the most of each day. I don't want to let daily "annoyances" get to me, because in the end, they don't matter. I want to be in daily communion with God, so that when my day does come, he'll say to me "Well done, good and faithful servant." I wish the same for you too.


I found this J.Crew factory dress on thredUp (surprise, surprise).  I'd been eyeing it when it was first a J.Crew factory this fall, but didn't get it because it was so much more of a spring dress. Then it showed up on thredUP, new with tags for $15 and I had credits to use. Nice. Use this thredUP link to get $10 off your first order, seriously, you'll be amazed at what you can find!  I'm planning to wear this for Easter and I adore it with my necklace from Rocksbox, another gem (no pun intended) that is right up my alley. I love getting to try new jewelry, and this is the one piece I've decided to keep so far. You can also try it for free. Just sign up at Rocksbox with the code "newfavoriteoutfitxoxo."




Cardigan: Kohl's similar
Dress: J.Crew factory via thredUP (use this thredUP link to get $10 off your first order)
Necklace: Rocksbox c/o (try Rocksbox for free with the code "newfavoriteoutfitxoxo)
Bracelets: Stella and Dot same / same
Heels: Fergalicious similar

11 comments:

  1. Oh no, what a sad story. A tragedy like that certainly puts your life and priorities in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I read stories like that, especially if I know the family, I am always reminded to be grateful for what I have and my time on earth. We all need to make the best of our time because you just never know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a sad, horrible story....definitely makes you appreciate what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry about that tragedy but yes life can change in the blink of an eye. Hope it gets easier for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, what a tragic story but I love your inspiring words behind it. As your husband said, we truly don't know when our time is up here on earth. Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us. From this day forward I will strive to live in the here and now knowing each day here on earth is a gift from God. I will strive to love a little harder, encourage those I encounter, and be a light for our Father while I'm here on earth. Thanks for sharing this story and by the way awesome outfit Ginny! Love your style and faith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... blink of an eye for sure. So hard to balance the living each day and thinking for the future...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great color on you :) So lovely!

    xo, Jessica || The Petite Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the saddest story. My heart goes out to her family. It does really put things into perspective and makes me appreciate what I have today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This story is incredibly heart wrenching. I can't even imaging what something like that would feel like. What an absolutely tragedy.

    https://forsevenseasons.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am continually amazed by the gems you find on ThredUp! Do you check their offerings in your size on a regular basis? Maybe that's the key to getting the good stuff...

    ReplyDelete