Clothed with Grace: Self-Doubt

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Self-Doubt

Recently I asked you all to complete a survey, and just like with anything, once you get the results you begin to think about what to do with them. One thing people said they wanted to see more of was how-to posts. Those of you who have been reading my blog for a while know that was something I did pretty regularly up until this past fall. Honestly, how-to posts are A LOT of work and I'd been working to find a balance between this hobby and the rest of my life, so time intensive posts like that went out the window.

I did, however, notice the way Audrey of Putting Me Together had her tabs set up, and I really liked how she had it organized.  I thought that was a great idea, and it would be simple for me to do as well. I could search my archives and make all my how-to posts easy to access, and highlight some other useful posts as well.

What started as a good idea, caused me to doubt myself and becomes super critical of myself as well. I totally didn't expect this. I began to look through my archives and I began to cringe at almost all the posts I created during my first year. The outfits, the poses, the picture quality: awful. Delete. Delete. Delete, post after post. In the midst of that though, I saw a thinner girl, seven pounds to be exact, which shows easily on my 5'4" frame. Now, the clothes from those pictures still fit me, I just look bigger now. What started as a good idea when south pretty quickly.

I'm generally a pretty self-confident person. However, I do believe that Satan will do what he can to get a foothold in our lives. My self-doubt and criticism wasn't from God, I knew that. Here's what I know about the nature and character of God:

Psalm 52:10 "The steadfast love of God endures."

Romans 8:39 "Nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world he gave his only son, and whoever believes in him will not perish, but have eternal life."

Roman 8:21 "If God is for us, who can be against us?"

God loves me and is for me, he is not a God of doubt and criticism.  I began to get some perspective. If the early posts looked the same as the posts today, I wouldn't have "grown" in any way. Also, although I wouldn't mind losing the seven pounds I've gained in two years, I'm way happier now than I was then, and I'd choose happiness over seven pounds any day.

Yes, this is a "fashion" blog, but that's not what's most important to me anymore. Life is about more than clothes, and thank God for that. I could have curled up and cried about what I saw in my archives, but what a waste of time that would have been. God is for us and that's what matters.


I wore this outfit to go to the zoo with Grant over spring break. It's so nice that he's big enough to walk and I don't have to mess with a stroller. Since pulling out my boat print blouse this spring I haven't been able to take it off, this version is pretty adorable too. I've also been wearing my red jeans like crazy. After wearing a pair for two years that very really fit me right, it was awesome to find this pair at a fashion swap a few months back.




Jacket:  Gap similar via thredUP (use this thredUP link to get $10 off your first order)
Blouse: Target cute option
Jeans: Old Navy similar
Watch: Wristology same c/o Get 25% off
Necklace: Stella and Dot similar
Shoes: Target similar

Linking up with:

8 comments:

  1. This is going to sound so lazy but honestly the reason I don't do any how-to posts is how much work they are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the nautical vibe of this outfit between the boat top, the denim jacket and red pants. I love your how-to posts but I bet they take forever to compile. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute outfit! You'll have to link this post up with myself and a few other bloggers in a few weeks! Colored pants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The print of your top is too cute, love it with the red pants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pattern on this shirt with the red pants! And those shoes are ridiculously cute. The cutouts are adorable.

    https://forsevenseasons.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so disappointed I miss the boat blouse in my size. It's adorable and perfect here! The shoes are a great compliment too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an absolutely adorable outfit! I might have to search Poshmark or eBay for that boat blouse!
    I think having a style blog has actually helped me feel more confident. When I look in the mirror, most of my flaws seem much more exaggerated than they actually are. Having daily photos of myself provides objective proof for me that most of my "imperfections" are mostly in my head!
    You look beautiful and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl you look beautiful!! And you have incredible style!

    Her Heartland Soul
    http://herheartlandsoul.com

    ReplyDelete